Tuesday, June 18, 2013

USA Cycling Taps Jake, Twice: Dad nearly has a heart attack

Let's see if anyone reads this when I don't link to FaceBook.

Two weekends ago, on June 2nd, we were in Manhattan for Loren's brother's wedding.  Sunday morning, I'm sitting on the bed in Loren's and my room when I get an email from Jake (who is in the boys' room across the hall).  It is an email from Geoff Proctor, inviting him to attend the USA Cycling Cyclocross Development Camp in Montana in July!  Jake comes running into our room.  It is unbelievable.  Simply unbelievable.  Jake is one of 17 boys between 15 and 18 who are invited.  Geoff Proctor runs Euro Cross Camp and I guess the USA Cycling junior cyclocross team for Worlds.  The camp is from July 21st to 26th.

Ok, wow.  So the CX camp starts the Sunday of Cascades Classic.  Ok, well, Geoff understands and in fact another boy, Sam Rosenberg from Oregon, is doing the same thing.  The plan was they would race Cascades then fly to Montana after the final stage Sunday, getting there at midnight.

This is absolutely incredible.  An unbelievable honor and opportunity.  Thanks to Geoff Proctor for giving him this chance.
This little guy is going to CX camp

But, then, today, at 8AM-ish, I checked my comcast.net email, and there was an email from USA Cycling inviting Jake to attend the 15-16 year old European Camp in August!  I literally screamed "oh my god" and ran upstairs and shoved my iphone in front of Loren, who was brushing her teeth, and she screamed, and then my heart started racing faster than in any race.  Unbelievable.  

Jake is one of 6 boys invited to the August camp (6 others are going in July).  It is a 3 week trip from July 29th to August 19th.  They will stay in the USA Cycling team house in Sittard, Netherlands, and they will do 4 Kermesses (local races around/through little towns) and then they will go to the USA House in Izegem, Belgium, and do the West Vlaanderen Tour stage race (4 stages in 3 days).  They will ride USA Cycling team bikes, the whole deal.

Here's the schedule:


        3 Aug: kermesse Voorshoven
        4 Aug: kermesse Drieslinter
        7 Aug: kermesse Rukkelingen-Loon
        11 Aug: kermesse Heers-Bovelingen

        16-18 Aug: West Vlaanderen Cycling Tour (UCI 2.17 IC)

Well, so, today was crazy.  I had to cancel the trip to Oregon because that would be too much travel.  Then re-book Jake to fly to Montana from DC.  USAC will book his travel to/from Europe.

I have to thank Sue Hefler for her coaching and support of Jake.  She submitted some critical testing data that I think had to tip the scales for him.  Also, everyone else who has supported Jake, like Bicycle Outfitters/Trek, Van Dessel cx bikes, and all our friends and family in the local racing scene.   
And this guy is going to Europe to face the Belgian Hammer

2 comments:

  1. This just blows my mind. In my head he's still a little squirt. Super proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, right. still sinking in (and wow, someone read this blog even when there is no link posted on FaceBook)

    ReplyDelete