Thursday, April 23, 2015

Tour of Battenkill 2015 - the Laatste Ronde

For the 4th year in a row Jake & I made our way to upstate New York for the Tour of the Battenkill. (prior reports 2012, 2013, and 2014).  Billed as America's toughest one-day race.  It's a 68 mile race with 12 miles worth of gravel roads and a variety of climbs.  This year was a new route (and it seemed like less gravel and less climbing).

A long hard road race with gravel roads has always been perfect for Jake and he has historically done well.  This year, since it was his last year doing it as a junior (and realistically likely the last year he and I go together), I figured what the hell, I'll race it too.  I signed up for the Cat 4 40+ race (there were 2 waves of 100 in that field alone).  My Coppi teammate Greg Butler was also signed up, and so was Tanner Browne's dad, Bill.

Rather than stay at the usual hotel, this year I decided to get a place through Airbnb.  So I found a little house in Saratoga Springs with 3 bedrooms.  Jake, Bill, and I would stay there.  It was a good choice.  We got to make our own breakfasts and generally be comfortable.

Jake & I drove up to Arlington Thursday night and then on to Saratoga Springs early Friday so that I could pre-ride the course Friday afternoon before my Saturday morning race.  We got there and joined Greg for some recon of the opening 10 miles.  They had shifted the course and this year the graveled climbs of Meetinghouse Road would be early, at the 10 mile mark.  We also checked out the final 1km dirt climb that would come just 2km before the finish.  I said the winner would sprint up it and other people would cramp to a stop.
Friday night Jake and I had the ritual Chipotle pre-race dinner then went and hung out with the Miller School team, who were eating late.

Saturday, Greg and I lined up for our race.  The sun was out and it was warm (I shoved my arm warmers in my back pocket before we even started).
The pack was fairly sedate for the first 10 miles, but as we neared Meetinghouse, we started to race to stay near the front.  I was comfortably in the top 10 as we hit the first paved climb and then top 5 heading onto Meetinghouse.  I was able to easily pick my own lines on the descents (it's basically 3 one-minute climbs back to back, all over gravel/dirt).  I came out of Meetinghouse Road 4th wheel and it was exciting to take corners where I had seen Jake in past years making the select group.  Next we hit Stage Road, a longer, stair-stepping gravel climb that used to the final climb before the finish.  This year everyone was fresh.  Greg drove the pace on the pavement into the climb.  I slotted into the top 4 and dug in to stay there.  It was HARD.  I thought my stomach was going to explode as I responded to all the surges. I was determined to stay in the top 10, assuming that this was going to shatter the group.  I came over Stage Road 4th in the group.  After the descent someone looked back and said there were only 20 of us left.  But on the long pavement section after more people, including Greg, reconnected and the group was probably more like 35.  Still I stayed near the front but avoided doing any work.

The next big climb was Juniper Swamp Road, which was steep and the dirt was still wet and soft.  I struggled about half way up.  My wheels were sinking in and it felt like I had a flat.  I got gapped off the group by a few seconds, but me and Greg and a few other guys were able to fairly quickly chase back onto the group of 30?  More transitional miles lead us toward the second feed zone at mile 50.  Jake was supposed to be there.  he was going to ride with Miller School then drive my car over to the feed zone and get me a bottle.  As we climbed up the feed zone I looked but he wasn't there.  I grabbed a neutral water bottle.  I was starting to suffer with the signs of pre-cramps.

Immediately after the feed zone was Joe Bean Road.  A long paved climb.  The field shattered.  I was starting to cramp but was able to stay in touch.  A group of 5 was able to pull away, then a group of 10.  I was a few seconds off the 10 over the top and quickly joined them.  People were trying to organize a chase.  I made the mistake of pulling through.  Immediately after we hit Riddle Road (I actually read the sign).  It was another steep gravel climb, this time I cracked.  I was gapped off the group.  I struggled over the top and on the gravel descent I couldn't see anything as all the sweat poured down into my eyes.  Damn.  There were still like 15 miles to go.  Mostly "downhill".  I was badly cramping.  Greg and another guy caught me after a minute or two.  But they quickly dropped me because I couldn't pedal hard enough yet.  They would power on and eventually catch the front group of 15.

I spent seemingly forever alone in a strong side/head wind.  Finally 2 guys caught me (and expressed shock that I got dropped on the downhill - no respect for the lightweight).  I had to dig in just to stay with them.  They yelled at me to pull and complained that I was sandbagging them for the final climb.  I told them I was cramping.  I pulled through a few times but it really was all I could do.  But sure enough, we got to the final climb and I dropped them.  I tried to get one of them to come with me, but basically my meager efforts -- basically just keeping my legs turning over -- was too fast.  Gravity is a bitch.

I finished 21st. 
My climbing had been among the best until those cramps on Riddle Road.  Jake had been delayed so got to the feed zone after us.  He had to untie my shoes because I was afraid I'd cramp if I bent over.  Greg had finished 16th about 2minutes ahead.

Sunday morning Jake lined up with a super strong field of 17-18 year olds (the kid who won did the junior Paris Roubaix a week ago).  Miller School had 8 (I think) boys starting.
We expected the juniors to be aggressive early.  Miller School rider Pedro Martin's dad, Ivo, and Bill and I hopped in my car and drove at break-neck speed around country roads to try and see the boys come off of Meetinghouse Road.  We just barely made it.  Ethan Reynolds of Hot Tubes was already 30 seconds off the front, followed by a very depleted group of about 25 that included Jake, Tanner, Marcio, and Spencer from Miller School.  They had already shredded the field.
We hopped in the car and drove to the first feed zone several miles north of Cambridge NY.  We hung out for a while.  Ethan Reynolds had pulled out a 1.5 minute lead, followed by Gage Hecht who was trying to bridge solo up to Ethan.  Then there was a group of 15-20 boys about 30 seconds back.  Spencer and Marcio were there, but Jake was not.  Jake appeared about 30(?) seconds behind that group, pulling away from a group of 6, trying to make his way through the cars to re-gain the group.  He looked strong.  A few minutes later, Tanner rolled up.  He had hurt his hip flexor. He told us Jake had flatted after Stage Road.

Bill stayed with Tanner, so Ivo and I jumped in my car and headed for the second feed zone.  We figured out a way that we could stop on the way and try to see them again before hop-scotching up to the feed zone.  We saw them as they came off the gravel section after Juniper Swamp, basically mile 40.  Ethan Reynolds' lead had extended to 2 minutes, but Gage Hecht was not with him or even ahead of the group.  The group was smaller still. You can hear my nervous father commentary on the video as I scan to see if Jake has made it:
It turns out Jake had chased for approximately 15 miles.  He had made contact with the group just before the Juniper Swamp Rd climb.  Tired from the long chase, he said he got gapped on Juniper Swamp, but, like me, was able to quickly get back to the group on the descent.  Interestingly, Gage Hecht was now 30 seconds behind (he got a flat). Ivo and I jumped in the car, but made a wrong turn and ended up behind the boys' group.  We were trapped and followed them for several miles.  I was afraid we wouldn't get to the feed zone in time.  But I figured out a way to turn off and speed ahead of them.  I had to literally run to the feed zone from the car as I could see the boys coming across the field.  I got there in time to hand Jake a bottle.

This time Bill joined me as Ivo waited to give bottles to Pedro, who we heard was still out riding the course.  We drove back to the start/finish.  And waited.  Based on Jake's subsequent report, this is what happened out on the road: Having used a lot of energy chasing early in the race, Jake got gapped again on Joe Bean Road.  He said they were still in sight on Riddle Road.  He joined up with a kid from Canada and told him that they could work together and get back up to the group.  So they chased for probably 10 miles on the flat in the open wind, finally catching the group with about 7km to go.  Jake said he made his way forward in the group and hit the final climb in 7th, but the work he had to do chasing back on twice caught up to him and mid-way up the climb his hamstring cramped badly and he couldn't keep up with the boys who were more fresh from sitting in the pack. 
From the group, Jake's soon-to-be teammate at Furman, Cooper Wilsey, jumped free to be 2nd (Ethan Reynolds finished many minutes ahead).  His Miller School teammate Marcio did a great sprint for 5th.
Jake rolled in a minute or so later in 23rd. 
It was tough.  He rode strong to chase back from an early flat tire (and confusion in the wheel van over junior cassettes slowed the process) and then to re-gain the group over the final 15 miles.  But bad luck finally found him after years of clean rides at Battenkill.  I'm sure that if he had been able to ride with the pack the entire race he would have been competitive for a top placing.  He took it well, though, recognizing that it was the flat tire, not his fitness that failed him.  He showed real determination to chase for so long and get back to the group.

We re-packed the car and started the 8.5-9 hour drive back to Crozet.  But first we stopped in Saratoga Springs to pick up some huge gourmet cookies.  It was a long drive, but at some point Jake realized that it was probably our last timing doing Battenkill. He said in the future he might do the Pro/1/2 race and I could do the 50+.  So maybe we're not done.  It's been a great run and I'll miss it next spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment