Sunday, September 28, 2014

Winchester Apple Cross 2014 -- the best course in the Mid Atlantic

Jake had a senior trip to ..... Washington DC on Friday and Saturday (they had dinner at Whitlows, hahahaha; the highlight was when they saw the pedal pub).  So, I grabbed him from the group Saturday afternoon.

Sunday morning we packed up and drove out to Winchester.  I love that course.  It's really well done.  Jon Hicks knows how to make turns and use the terrain.  (It doesn't hurt that it suits my power profile).

But there was discord.  Jake has been sick all week, coughing like a seal with pneumonia.  So, on Friday his coach emailed him to make clear that Jake should/would not race on Sunday.  It would just put him in a deeper health hole.  So, here's the photo of Jake when he got the news:
So this blog post is about Soigneur Dad as racer!

I had been feverishly gluing tires all week, so I had my Zipp 303 w/ Challenge Fango back in the front.  I had a new Chicane on a rear, but decided to go with a Grifo for traction riding up the wall.  I did 1.5 laps pre-ride.  Legs didn't feel great after a bit of a rest week (I hate rest weeks).  I was getting ready to get on the trainer to warm up, but instead thought I'd spend some precious time in the "facilities."  Oy.  So, limited warm up.

Although I've been top 10 here in the past (last year 7th I think), with current strength/fitness (or lack thereof) I figured a top 15 would be a decent goal.  I also made a conscious decision to hold back at the start.  After a scary crash in the start where I barely avoided hitting Bill Wheeler (he's fine)
Photo by the talented Doug Graham (I'm the one aimed directly at Bill on the ground)
  I let the front 10 go and sat behind Bill Lueke (NCVC) for a bit w/ Mark Stahl behind me.  I got around Bill in some technical bits in the woods and me and Mark had some fun.
Thanks again to Doug Graham (me and Mark)
I had gapped Mark at one point, but he came back on the start/finish road.  I used roadie mode and forced him to come around and pull then I went around hard past the pits.  In a humorous moment on lap 2 Mark fell over half way up the wall in front of me, forcing me to get off and run, then on the next lap, I was in front and in the exact same spot I pulled my foot out of my pedal forcing him to run.  We laughed.

With 2 laps to go, heading toward the wall, Cory of Sportif had crashed ahead of us and was laying there kinda tangled up.  Mark asked if he was ok and he said yes, but damn if Mark isn't a great guy so he stopped.  I felt guilty at that point but kept going (yes, I'm a horrible person).  From there it really was all out for me for the last lap to make sure Mark and others didn't catch me from behind.  Turns out I was 14th (Mark was 15th).  Usually I catch and pass Scott Stahl on the last lap of Winchester.  Not this year but he was 13th in front of me (he usually is way in front of me; he really should thrive on that course; it's a mystery why he struggles and I thrive).

Last I saw him Dan Klaussen was rolling away in the lead 10, so I was supprised when I saw him at 26th in the results.  Turns out he had rolled a tire (I don't remember passing him).
Dan shows rubbin is racin

Lots of fun today.  Great seeing old Friends.  Thanks to Doug Graham for holding my keys and all the great photos.  Good to see him again.
Eric Blomquist got me with a fish eye lens - cross beard is grey
 Got a new Winchester Apple Cross hat, this year in red
I only look mildly maniacal when I smile

Hope that I can convince Liam to come out to a race, and maybe even Loren.

Next weekend Jake & I will make our first ever trip up to the end of "Holy Week" -- Providence!

No comments:

Post a Comment