Saturday, October 4, 2014

Providence Cyclocross Festival Day 1

Here's a quick re-cap of Day 1 at the Providence Cyclocross Festival:

The drive up Friday was uneventful. Car full.

We checked out the course.  Dry, fast, some crazy fly-overs
stairs into a fly-over - there were 4 fly-overs depending on how you count
 Weather: cloudy and cool, the rain wasn't supposed to start until 3pm, just in time for Jake's race.

We made our way to the venue and filled out under a tent set up by Bill Browne.  It was unofficial Miller School of Albemarle race HQ for the day

I raced the 35+ Elite.  Staged like 135th based on rankings points.  The lots of traffic.  I felt so-so to "ok"; I moved up and finished 84th.  Crossresults.com predictor said I'd be 107th so, that's positive.  Most important, I didn't get lapped!

Then I got into Soigneur Dad mode.  Would the rain arrive for Jake's race?

warm up
Jake got a first row call up based on random draw.  He had injured his achilles about 4 weeks ago, so couldn't train for 2 weeks, then he immediately got an upper respiratory virus and was sick for a week.  So he hasn't been training but a week, so expectations were "realistic."  This was for fun.

Jake & Tanner
 
Several laps into the race, Jake yelled that he needed his asthma inhaler.  I ran around looking for it until I realized it was in the pocket of his jacket that I was wearing.  But he decided not to take it during the race.  The rain started during his race, but luckily he had started on his mud tires, so he was doing better as other boys started crashing.  He caught one boy and stayed with it. so a solid effort.  I got him his inhaler immediately after the race and he said "that's so much better."
On the gas late in the race; putting time in the kid behind him
A little messy; not too bad
 We hung around to watch the pros (in the pouring rain).  Sam O'Keefe did well, looked good. Just outside the top 25 in the Pro race.
 
We chatted with Ted King.  And I saw Mo Bruno Roy getting a soft serve ice cream with sprinkles after her race!  Got to see lots of people I kinda know.  I had a very nice talk with Ellen Noble

Now the hotel room has wet stuff hanging on everything!

Tomorrow should be fun.  Sunshine but wet ground.  Slippy Slidey

No comments:

Post a Comment